Wednesday 22 September 2010

1969 - Stooges



On Friday 22nd November 2002 Joe Strummer performed his last ever gig at Liverpool Academy 2, before sadly dying of heart failure a month later. I was there with my pal Geoff. We'd arrived early and were wandering though the many corridors of that venue. All of a sudden there was Joe being interviewed by a local journalist. I said 'Mr Strummer I haven't seen you for 20 years'. He growled 'Good to see ya'. I'll never forget that. During the gig he said 'Right we're going to massacre a Stooges number', and launched into this song, with his superb band the Mescaleros.

1 comment:

  1. That's an archetypal promo pic of a four bloke band: none of them are giving away their glee over the opportunity of fame; there's the charismatic looking one, the boyish looking one, the ugly one, and the intellectual looking one. It's the same for the Beatles, the Monkees, any four piece band you care to mention...

    ReplyDelete